miercuri, 7 octombrie 2015

Colour theory - Seminar - Week 2

Today's seminar with Kat was about colour theory and playing with make-up and colors on facecharts. Using and creating make-up with colorful products was always something that made me really excited but I haven't got so many opportunities to do colorful make-up on people's faces because sometimes it's hard to convince people to try something more daring than the classic smokey eye.
For me, today was the first time when I designed a make-up look on a facechart. At first, I didn't know how should I start. Should I use compact eyeshadows, aqua or supracolours? These were some of the questions that popped into my head at the beginning. Then I looked at what others were doing and I decided to use supracolours instead of eyeshadows. I didn't know that, when using grease colours, I should apply the base all over the face and then start working over and adding layers, but after that Kat told me that this is the proper way of working with these kind of products on facecharts. Using grease colors on a facechart really intensifies the colors and makes everything bold and if I want that effect I should definitely go for this kind of products.
I didn't know what to design, but, as I was applying the skin color, the ideas came into my head really easy and this is the final result:



























At home I wrote down everything that I have used do create this look so I won't forget how I made it, in case I want to create this look in the future.

I have learnt that if I want to create harmonious make-up designs, I should be careful when choosing and mixing the colours. A colour wheel is essential in the process of developing a new design because putting colors together in a proper way is crucial if I want to create something beautiful.

That's how a colour wheel looks like:
At the seminar I have also learnt that colours can be clasified in:
  1. Monochromatic - using variations of the same color can create a striking palette, but it's difficult to use color effectively without adding black, white and shades of gray for contrast. I should select colors with a broad range of tints and shades to provide enough contrast;
  2. Analogous - selecting colors that are touching in the wheel creates a narrow, harmonious color scheme. Similar to monochromatic colors, analogous colors provide a predominantly warm or cool feeling, depending on where they lie on the wheel;
  3. Complementary - colors from the opposite ends of the wheel provide the most contrast. If I can stave off the temptation to add more colors, I have to limit them to only two to create a powerful look. But I have to arrange them wisely so they don't clash.

References for this post:


  • The Colour wheel (2012) Available at: http://www.poeticmind.co.uk/research/the-colour-wheel/ (Accessed: 2015).

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu